999.3.1: Tincture of Iodine, 1940-1960

Additional Images

999.3.1: Tincture of Iodine.
Image No. 2875 ; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

Rectangular brown bottle with a red rubber stopper containing 3 fluid ounces of Tincture of Iodine. In relief on the back of the bottle is a scull and cross bones and 'POISON LIQ. IODINE'. Paper label on outside has antidote printed in black ink.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 999.3.1
Collection: Materia Medica & Pharmacology
Date: 1940-1960

Object Dimensions

  • Height: 8.6 cm
  • Width: 3 cm
  • Depth: 3 cm

Object Parts

Object Materials

  • glass,
  • paper,
  • poison-liquid,
  • printing ink,
  • rubber

Acquisition Detail

  • Manufacturer: Western Wholesale Drug Ltd.
  • Owner: Dr. Brabizon J. Hallowes
  • History of Use: Iodine dissolved in alcohol is called tincture of iodine and was widely used as a disinfectant for cuts. Used by Dr. Brabizon Hallowes [1885-1961] born in Australia he relocated to Vancouver in 1936 where he opened a general practice. In later life he moved to Saturna Island.