998.1.16: Retractor, 1941-1970

Additional Images

998.1.16: Retractor.
Image No. 3698 ; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

MAYO-ADAMS self-retaining retractor for appendectomy. Two blades [1½" length x ⅝" width] each with two prongs, ratchet lock, finger ring handles. 'THE J.F.HARTZ Co.' and manufacturer’s insignia [serpent entwined around a staff with crown] (Rod of Asclepius) stamped into the surface. Number '3' is stamped into the inner surfaces of both arms directly below the hinge.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 998.1.16
Collection: Surgery, General
Date: 1941-1970

Object Dimensions

  • Length: 17 cm
  • Width: 9.5 cm
  • Depth: 4 cm

Object Parts

Object Materials

  • nickel plate,
  • steel

Acquisition Detail

  • Manufacturer: Jetter & Scheerer
  • Supplier: Hartz Co. Ltd., J. F.
  • Owner: Dr. William Edward French
  • History of Use: Used by Dr. Bill French [1920-1992] who was a general surgeon at the Burris Clinic, Kamloops British Columbia circa 1952 to 1972. In 1972 he joined the Workers Compensation Board in Vancouver and moved to Tsawwassen. A retractor was used to either separate the edges of the surgical incision or to hold back underlying organs and tissue to aid access.