995.4.67: Urethroscope, 1915-1940

Additional Images

995.4.67: Urethroscope. Cased urethroscope with operating attachments, telescope and set of instruments
Image No. 3896 Cased urethroscope with operating attachments, telescope and set of instruments; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

WYNDHAM POWELL's urethroscope with operating attachments, telescope and set of instruments consisting of a handle containing a lamp and reflector mirror; two magnifying attachments where the lens can be removed; six urethra cannula and pilots; a rubber concertina-like cylinder secured at each end to a metal discs, one disc has a mount for the nozzle of the urethroscope and the other mount to plug into the urethral cannula [the rubber membrane has deteriorated and is missing]; viewing cone; telescopic lens; two lens attachments; instruments: curette, curved bladed knife, probe, injection cannula and a double ended instrument: probe and spatula; electrical cord with plug; two spare lamps; a rubber bulb with manufacturer's name 'Porges' printed on the surface [not part of the original set]. Manufacturer's name 'ALLEN&HANBURYS LONDON' stamped into the surface of several of the parts. Case dimensions given.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 995.4.67
Collection: Urology
Date: 1915-1940

Object Dimensions

  • Height: 7 cm
  • Width: 26.2 cm
  • Depth: 20.5 cm

Object Parts

  • a) Case with tray
  • b) Handle with lamp
  • c) Magnifying attachment
  • d) Magnifying attachment
  • e) Concertina-like cylinder
  • f) Telescopic lens
  • g) Cannula No.27 and pilot
  • h) Cannula No.26 and pilot
  • i) Cannula No.25 and pilot
  • j) Cannula No.24 and pilot
  • k) Cannula No.23 and pilot
  • l) Cannula No.22 and pilot
  • m) Viewing cone
  • n) Curette
  • o) Knife
  • p) Probe
  • q) Injection cannula
  • r) Probe & spatula
  • s) Tube with spring
  • t) Electrical cord & plug
  • u) Rubber bulb
  • v) Lens attachment
  • w) Lens attachment
  • x) Lamp
  • y) Lamp

Object Materials

  • chrome plate,
  • copper alloy,
  • cord,
  • filament,
  • glass,
  • lacquer,
  • leather,
  • mahogany,
  • metal,
  • nickel alloy,
  • paint coating,
  • paper,
  • plaster of Paris,
  • plastic,
  • plating,
  • printing ink,
  • rubber,
  • silver,
  • steel,
  • unidentified material,
  • velvet,
  • wood

Acquisition Detail

  • Manufacturer: Allen & Hanburys Ltd.
  • Supplier: Hartz Co. Ltd., J. F.
  • Owner: Dr. Andrew Davidson
  • History of Use: Used to examine the anterior urethra. Used by Dr. Andrew Davidson [1885-1972] a military doctor and a noted dermatologist who served in both WW1 and WW2. He served in France as an officer [Captain] for the Royal Army Medical Corps (1915-1917) and in the Canadian Army Medical Corps (1917-1919), specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of venereal and skin diseases. In 1939, he returned to active military service with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and was involved in the institution of the PULHEMS system. This is a system for classification of soldiers, the acronym stands for: P – physical capacity, U – upper extremity, L – locomotion, H – hearing, E – eyesight, M – mental capacity, S – stability of emotions. After the war, Dr. Davidson moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver, where he was in practice in association with his son, Dr. Kenneth Davidson. In 1947, Dr. Davidson was elected as the founding president of the Canadian Dermatological Association, and was a winner of the Sabouraud Medal for research in dermatology.