995.4.21: Urethroscope, 1920-1950

Additional Images

995.4.21: Urethroscope.
Image No. 3919 ; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

LUY's male and female cased urethroscope. The set includes: two male specula [48 & 52 gauge] with pilots, two female specula [50 & 55 gauge] with pilots, handle with switch and lens clip, two lenses, five lamps with long shafts [1 extra to set] and connecting cables. Interior labels for manufacturer Allen & Hanburys Ltd. and supplier J.F. Hartz Co. Ltd. Sick Room Supplies. 'ALLEN&HANBURYS LONDON' stamped into the surface of several of the parts. Case dimensions given.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 995.4.21
Collection: Urology
Date: 1920-1950

Object Dimensions

  • Height: 4.3 cm
  • Width: 24 cm
  • Depth: 10 cm

Object Parts

  • a) Case
  • b) Male speculum [48 gauge] with pilot
  • c) Male speculum [52 gauge] with pilot
  • d) Female speculum [55 gauge] with pilot
  • e) Female speculum [50 gauge] with pilot
  • f) Cables
  • g) Lamp
  • h) Lamp
  • i) Lamp
  • j) Lamp
  • k) Lamp
  • l) Lens
  • m) Lens
  • n) Handle with switch and lens clip

Object Materials

  • chrome plate,
  • copper alloy,
  • cord,
  • filament,
  • glass,
  • gold print,
  • mahogany,
  • metal,
  • paper,
  • plastic,
  • printing ink,
  • steel,
  • unidentified material,
  • varnish

Acquisition Detail

  • Manufacturer: Allen & Hanburys Ltd.
  • Supplier: Hartz Co. Ltd., J. F.
  • Owner: Dr. Andrew Davidson
  • History of Use: Used by Dr. Andrew Davidson [1885-1972] a military doctor [Captain] and a noted dermatologist who served in both WW1 and WW2. He served in France as an officer [Captain] for the Royal Army Medical Corps (1915-1917) and in the Canadian Army Medical Corps (1917-1919), specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of venereal and skin diseases. In 1939, he returned to active military service with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and was involved in the institution of the PULHEMS system. This is a system for classification of soldiers, the acronym stands for: P – physical capacity, U – upper extremity, L – locomotion, H – hearing, E – eyesight, M – mental capacity, S – stability of emotions. After the war, Dr. Davidson moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver, where he was in practice in association with his son, Dr. Kenneth Davidson. In 1947, Dr. Davidson was elected as the founding president of the Canadian Dermatological Association, and was a winner of the Sabouraud Medal for research in dermatology.