995.4.145: Microscope Slides, Boxed, 20th Cent.

Additional Images

995.4.145: Microscope Slides, Boxed.
Image No. 2624 ; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

Cardboard box with flip top lid to hold ½ gross [72] No. 2950 plain microscope slides. Box contains 70 pre-cleaned glass slides [25x75x1mm]. The Canadian distributor's name 'THE J. F. HARTZ COMPANY LTD.' and branch cities are printed on a label attached to the front of the box.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 995.4.145
Collection: Diagnostic, Laboratory
Date: 20th Cent.

Object Dimensions

  • Length: 8 cm
  • Height: 2.8 cm
  • Width: 8 cm

Object Parts

Object Materials

  • card,
  • glass,
  • paper,
  • printing ink

Acquisition Detail

  • Manufacturer: Erie Scientific Company
  • Supplier: Hartz Co. Ltd., J. F.
  • Owner: Dr. Andrew Davidson
  • History of Use: Used by Dr. Andrew Davidson [1885-1972] a military doctor and a noted dermatologist who served in both WW1 and WW2. He served in France as an officer [Captain] for the Royal Army Medical Corps (1915-1917) and in the Canadian Army Medical Corps (1917-1919), specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of venereal and skin diseases. In 1939, he returned to active military service with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and was involved in the institution of the PULHEMS system. This is a system for classification of soldiers, the acronym stands for: P – physical capacity, U – upper extremity, L – locomotion, H – hearing, E – eyesight, M – mental capacity, S – stability of emotions. After the war, Dr. Davidson moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver, where he was in practice in association with his son, Dr. Kenneth Davidson. In 1947, Dr. Davidson was elected as the founding president of the Canadian Dermatological Association, and was a winner of the Sabouraud Medal for research in dermatology.