995.4.144: Microscope Cover Glasses in Box, 20th Cent.

Additional Images

995.4.144: Microscope Cover Glasses in Box.
Image No. 2618 ; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

Cylindrical wooden box with lift off lid. Contains 15 square microscope slide cover sheets, fragment of wrapping with '#2 - 22' printed in black ink and a wad of cotton wool. '18 US 5 41 9' is stamped on the base.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 995.4.144
Collection: Diagnostic, Laboratory
Date: 20th Cent.

Object Dimensions

  • Height: 3.9 cm
  • Diameter: 4.5 cm

Object Parts

  • a) Lidded box
  • b) Cover glasses x 15
  • c) Wrapper fragment for cover glasses

Object Materials

  • cotton wool,
  • glass,
  • paper,
  • printing ink,
  • wood

Acquisition Detail

  • Owner: Dr. Andrew Davidson
  • History of Use: Used by Dr. Andrew Davidson [1885-1972] a military doctor and a noted dermatologist who served in both WW1 and WW2. He served in France as an officer [Captain] for the Royal Army Medical Corps (1915-1917) and in the Canadian Army Medical Corps (1917-1919), specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of venereal and skin diseases. In 1939, he returned to active military service with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and was involved in the institution of the PULHEMS system. This is a system for classification of soldiers, the acronym stands for: P – physical capacity, U – upper extremity, L – locomotion, H – hearing, E – eyesight, M – mental capacity, S – stability of emotions. After the war, Dr. Davidson moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver, where he was in practice in association with his son, Dr. Kenneth Davidson. In 1947, Dr. Davidson was elected as the founding president of the Canadian Dermatological Association, and was a winner of the Sabouraud Medal for research in dermatology.