995.4.139: Slide Viewer, 1901-1950

Additional Images

995.4.139: Slide Viewer. Electrical glass slide viewer
Image No. 2748 Electrical glass slide viewer; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

Electrical glass slide viewer. Solid stand with movable light source and lens, and mirror housing. The insitu lens casing can be adjusted by a lever, whereas the screw-in lens can be removed. The rectangular mirror can be removed and has a cover. The slide is held in an upright stage with 2 stage clips either side. The power unit consists of coils within a perforated cylinder housing with 2 electrical cords. 1 leading to the lamp source with 'BRYANT 660W 250V MADE IN U.S.A.' engraved into the lamp holder and a 'GE' lamp screwed in place. The second lead, with a plug, is attached to 2 terminals on the cylinder housing. Numbers 22464-21 are engraved into the stand base. 2 metal labels with manufacturer's details are attached to both the stand base and cylinder housing.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 995.4.139
Collection: Diagnostic, Laboratory
Date: 1901-1950

Object Dimensions

  • Height: 25 cm

Object Parts

  • a) Cast iron stand, lamp housing, slide holder with 2 stage clips, lens housing, lens tube with adjustment handle and mirror
  • b) Lens
  • c) Mirror cover
  • d) Cylinder housing with connecting terminals, element wrapped around ceramic core, 2 sleeved electrical cables ending in plug and lamp holder
  • e) 'GE' lamp

Object Materials

  • aluminium silvering,
  • Bakelite,
  • card,
  • cast iron,
  • ceramic,
  • chrome plate,
  • coating,
  • copper alloy,
  • filament,
  • glass,
  • metal,
  • steel,
  • textile

Acquisition Detail

  • Manufacturer of part e) : General Electric Company
  • Manufacturer: Bryant
  • Manufacturer: Bausch & Lomb Optical Co.
  • Owner: Dr. Andrew Davidson
  • History of Use: Used by Dr. Andrew Davidson [1885-1972] a military doctor and a noted dermatologist who served in both WW1 and WW2. He served in France as an officer [Captain] for the Royal Army Medical Corps (1915-1917) and in the Canadian Army Medical Corps (1917-1919), specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of venereal and skin diseases. In 1939, he returned to active military service with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and was involved in the institution of the PULHEMS system. This is a system for classification of soldiers, the acronym stands for: P – physical capacity, U – upper extremity, L – locomotion, H – hearing, E – eyesight, M – mental capacity, S – stability of emotions. After the war, Dr. Davidson moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver, where he was in practice in association with his son, Dr. Kenneth Davidson. In 1947, Dr. Davidson was elected as the founding president of the Canadian Dermatological Association, and was a winner of the Sabouraud Medal for research in dermatology.