995.4.138: Microscope Lucida, 1911-1960

Additional Images

995.4.138: Microscope Lucida. Carl Zeiss Microscope Lucida Nr.5604
Image No. 1316 Carl Zeiss Microscope Lucida Nr.5604; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

Carl Zeiss microscope lucida Nr.5604. Consists of swiveling mirror on bar to which is attached eye-piece, 2 interchangeable prism cubes for large and small exit pupils and 5 position neutral tint filter ring. 'Zeichenapparat' and 'Carl Zeiss Jena' incised on upper lid of case. Microscope accessory used to aid the drawing of microscopic objects.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 995.4.138
Collection: Diagnostic, Laboratory
Date: 1911-1960

Object Dimensions

  • Length: 24 cm
  • Height: 4.5 cm
  • Width: 11.5 cm

Object Parts

  • a) Black coated eyepiece with disc containing 4 tinted lenses
  • b) Mounted mirror in frame with support bar
  • c) Black coated prism cube with lens and mirrors
  • d) Black coated prism cube with lens and mirrors
  • e) Black coated filter ring with 5 tinted lenses
  • f) Hinged case and catch mechanism, partial lining

Object Materials

  • aluminium silvering,
  • coating,
  • copper alloy,
  • glass,
  • metal,
  • plating,
  • steel,
  • velvet,
  • wood

Acquisition Detail

  • Manufacturer: Carl Zeiss Jena
  • Owner: Dr. Andrew Davidson
  • History of Use: Used by Dr. Andrew Davidson [1885-1972] a military doctor and a noted dermatologist who served in both WW1 and WW2. He served in France as an officer [Captain] for the Royal Army Medical Corps (1915-1917) and in the Canadian Army Medical Corps (1917-1919), specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of venereal and skin diseases. In 1939, he returned to active military service with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and was involved in the institution of the PULHEMS system. This is a system for classification of soldiers, the acronym stands for: P – physical capacity, U – upper extremity, L – locomotion, H – hearing, E – eyesight, M – mental capacity, S – stability of emotions. After the war, Dr. Davidson moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver, where he was in practice in association with his son, Dr. Kenneth Davidson. In 1947, Dr. Davidson was elected as the founding president of the Canadian Dermatological Association, and was a winner of the Sabouraud Medal for research in dermatology.