995.4.125: Pipe, Rectal, 1911-1960

Additional Images

995.4.125: Pipe, Rectal.
Image No. 3942 ; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

Straight rectal pipe, infant, with one circular hole at the probe end.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 995.4.125
Collection: Proctology
Date: 1911-1960

Object Dimensions

  • Length: 7.5 cm
  • Width: 1.3 cm

Object Parts

Object Materials

  • vulcanised rubber

Acquisition Detail

  • Owner: Dr. Andrew Davidson
  • History of Use: Used as part of an injection syringe when giving enemas or douches. Used by Dr. Andrew Davidson [1885-1972] a military doctor and a noted dermatologist who served in both WW1 and WW2. He served in France as an officer [Captain] for the Royal Army Medical Corps (1915-1917) and in the Canadian Army Medical Corps (1917-1919), specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of venereal and skin diseases. In 1939, he returned to active military service with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and was involved in the institution of the PULHEMS system. This is a system for classification of soldiers, the acronym stands for: P – physical capacity, U – upper extremity, L – locomotion, H – hearing, E – eyesight, M – mental capacity, S – stability of emotions. After the war, Dr. Davidson moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver, where he was in practice in association with his son, Dr. Kenneth Davidson. In 1947, Dr. Davidson was elected as the founding president of the Canadian Dermatological Association, and was a winner of the Sabouraud Medal for research in dermatology.