995.4.11: Bacterial Vaccines in Case, c. 1937

Additional Images

995.4.11: Bacterial Vaccines in Case.
Image No. 2006 ; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

Folded case held closed by popper, inside are 4 bottles with rubber stoppers containing 12½ cc bacterial vaccine for Gonococcus, Influenza, Acne and Stapphylococcus. A metal pocket syringe holder with pocket clip attached; 'American' stamped into clip surface and 'SHERMANS BACTERINS DETROIT' stamped into lid base. A rectangular cube of blue-grey sharpening stone [pumice] with 'Sherman Vaccines' printed on surface in red, in a holder, and a sheet of directions to its use. The labels on the bacterial vaccine bottles have the expiry date: month, day and year, quantity held in the bottle [12½ cc], contents, and vaccine number [SHERMAN'S 22, 38, 49 and 50].

Object Classification

Accession Number: 995.4.11
Collection: Public Health & Hygiene
Date: c. 1937

Object Dimensions

  • Length: 9.5 cm
  • Height: 3.6 cm
  • Width: 14.3 cm

Object Parts

  • a) Case
  • b) Pocket syringe holder
  • c) Lid for pocket syringe holder
  • d) Bacterial vaccine bottle
  • e) Bacterial vaccine bottle
  • f) Bacterial vaccine bottle
  • g) Bacterial vaccine bottle
  • h) Holder for sharpening stone
  • i) Sharpening stone
  • j) Directions sheet for sharpening stone

Object Materials

  • chrome plate,
  • copper alloy,
  • drug-liquid,
  • glass,
  • leather,
  • leatherette,
  • paper,
  • plating,
  • printing ink,
  • pumice,
  • rubber,
  • steel,
  • wood

Acquisition Detail

  • Manufacturer: Sherman Bacterin Laboratory
  • Owner: Dr. Andrew Davidson
  • History of Use: Used by Dr. Andrew Davidson [1885-1972] a military doctor [Captain] and a noted dermatologist who served in both WW1 and WW2. He served in France as an officer [Captain] for the Royal Army Medical Corps (1915-1917) and in the Canadian Army Medical Corps (1917-1919), specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of venereal and skin diseases. In 1939, he returned to active military service with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and was involved in the institution of the PULHEMS system. This is a system for classification of soldiers, the acronym stands for: P – physical capacity, U – upper extremity, L – locomotion, H – hearing, E – eyesight, M – mental capacity, S – stability of emotions., After the war, Dr. Davidson moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver, where he was in practice in association with his son, Dr. Kenneth Davidson. In 1947, Dr. Davidson was elected as the founding president of the Canadian Dermatological Association, and was a winner of the Sabouraud Medal for research in dermatology.