995.4.107: Prostate Masseur, c. 1920

Additional Images

995.4.107: Prostate Masseur.
Image No. 1905 ; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

Metal probe, graduating to enlarged rounded tip, shaped for insertion into rectum. Attached to wider handle by means of curved narrow neck. Handle made to rest in palm with thumb and forefinger hollows. 'KNY-SCHEERER GERMANY' and trademark [serpent entwined around a staff with crown] stamped into surface.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 995.4.107
Collection: Urology
Date: c. 1920

Object Dimensions

  • Length: 27 cm
  • Width: 2.6 cm
  • Depth: 2 cm

Object Parts

Object Materials

  • plating,
  • steel

Acquisition Detail

  • Manufacturer: Jetter & Scheerer
  • Supplier: Kny-Scheerer Corporation
  • Owner: Dr. Andrew Davidson
  • History of Use: Prostatic massage was also a technique used in treatment of gonorrhea before penicillin. Used by Dr. Andrew Davidson [1885-1972] a military doctor and a noted dermatologist who served in both WW1 and WW2. He served in France as an officer [Captain] for the Royal Army Medical Corps (1915-1917) and in the Canadian Army Medical Corps (1917-1919), specializing in the diagnosis and treatment of venereal and skin diseases. In 1939, he returned to active military service with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel and was involved in the institution of the PULHEMS system. This is a system for classification of soldiers, the acronym stands for: P – physical capacity, U – upper extremity, L – locomotion, H – hearing, E – eyesight, M – mental capacity, S – stability of emotions. After the war, Dr. Davidson moved from Winnipeg to Vancouver, where he was in practice in association with his son, Dr. Kenneth Davidson. In 1947, Dr. Davidson was elected as the founding president of the Canadian Dermatological Association, and was a winner of the Sabouraud Medal for research in dermatology.