993.147.1: Medicine Chest, c. 1820
Mahogany medicine chest, triptych style, with hinged lid and 2 doors in the front which swing open to reveal 2 draws in the front section and two smaller draws on each side of the door sections with ivory knob handles. The chest has compartments to hold 14 bottles, 3 large, 11 small. Of these 2 large and 2 small bottles are missing. The medicine bottles are hand blown with stoppers and the large bottle and 6 of the 9 smaller bottles have labels attached: prepared ginger, Goulard's extract [a solution of lead acetate and lead oxide], laudanum, paregoric elixir [a camphorated tincture of opium], spirits of nitre, oppodeldoc [a mixture of soap in alcohol, to which camphor and sometimes a number of herbal essences, most notably wormwood, were added] and ether. The latter 3 bottles are empty. Key missing.
Accession Number: 993.147.1
Collection: Materia Medica & Pharmacology
Date: c. 1820
- Length: 21.5 cm
- Height: 23.5 cm
- Width: 21.5 cm
- a) Mahogany chest with handle, hinges and double lock mechanism. Lid is lined with binding tape border
- b) Large bottle with stopper, label 'Prepared GINGER'
- c) Small bottle with stopper, label 'Goulard's Extract'
- d) Small bottle with stopper, 2 labels 'LAUDANUM POISON' & 'GROVES. Chemist & Co WEYMOUTH.'
- e) Small bottle with stopper, label 'PAREGORIC ELIXIR"
- f) Small bottle with stopper, label 'SPIRITS of NITRE'
- g) Small bottle with stopper, label 'ETHER'
- h) Small bottle with stopper, label 'Oppodeldoc'
- i) Small bottle with stopper
- j) Small bottle with stopper
- k) Small bottle with fragment of broken stopper
- l) Misc. item
- copper alloy,
- printing ink,