2006.97.1: Aspirator/Injection Syringe, Cased, 1950-1970

Additional Images

2006.97.1: Aspirator/Injection Syringe, Cased.
Image No. 4114 ; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

Cased aspirator/injection syringe set consisting of a lidded case with a lift-out rack; a 20 cc graduated 'Record' syringe with metal plunger and tapered tip; seven sharp pointed needles with cannula wires, all have 'A.L.H' and 'SS' stamped into the hub surface; a three-way stopcock [to use syringe as aspirator]; a section of rubber tubing with slip-on hub inserted, held in place by a thin cord; 4 tubes of hypodermic tablets: Morphine Sulphate ¼ grain, Atropine Sulphate, Morphine & Atropine and Strychnine. Syringe's manufacturer logo, three arrows, stamped into the barrel. Genito-Urinary Manufacturing Company name 'G.U.MANCO LONDON' stamped into the case lid's exterior surface and stopcock. Not a complete set, some parts are not original. Case dimensions given.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 2006.97.1
Collection: Surgery, General
Date: 1950-1970

Object Dimensions

  • Length: 13.5 cm
  • Height: 3.3 cm
  • Width: 7.6 cm

Object Parts

  • a) Case with lift-out rack
  • b) Graduated syringe with tip, collar and plunger
  • c) 7 needles with cannulae
  • d) Slip-on hub with rubber tubing attached
  • e) Stopcock
  • f) 25 Morphine Sulphate tablets in a tube with stopper and label
  • g) Atropine Sulphate tablets in a tube with stopper and label
  • h) Morphine & Atropine tablets in a tube with stopper and label
  • i) Strychnine tablets in a tube with a label

Object Materials

  • adhesive bandage,
  • chrome plate,
  • copper alloy,
  • cord,
  • cork,
  • drug-tablet,
  • glass,
  • ink,
  • metal,
  • paper,
  • plastic,
  • plating,
  • poison-tablet,
  • printing ink,
  • rubber,
  • stainless steel

Acquisition Detail

  • Manufacturer of part f) : Parke, Davis & Co. Inc. (and pts g & h)
  • Manufacturer of part a) : Genito-Urinary Manufacturing Co. Ltd.
  • Manufacturer of part b) : Weidemeyer & Co.
  • Owner: Dr. Philip W. Morse
  • History of Use: Used by Dr. Philip Warren Morse [1910/1911-1986]. Dr. Morse trained at St John's College, Oxford, England and interned at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, London, obtaining his M.R.C.P. In the 1940’s, after WWII, Dr. Morse returned to Canada and settled in Vancouver BC where he was in private practice as an internist until he retired in 1980. Part-time posts include the Willow Chest Center where he became chief of the medical staff, consultant physician at Shaughnessy D.V.A. Hospital, medical officer [Silicosis Department] at the Medical Division of Workmen's Compensation Board [worksafeBC], physician for the Provincial Board of Health, Division of Tuberculosis Control and clinical instructor at UBC medical school.