2006.663.1: Clamp, Haemorrhoid, 1941-1950

Additional Images

2006.663.1: Clamp, Haemorrhoid.
Image No. 1893 ; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

SMITH's type haemorrhoid clamp with ivory faced blades, scissor handles and set screw.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 2006.663.1
Collection: Proctology
Date: 1941-1950

Object Dimensions

  • Length: 19.4 cm
  • Width: 9 cm

Object Parts

Object Materials

  • chrome plate,
  • ivory,
  • steel

Acquisition Detail

  • Supplier: Hartz Co. Ltd., J. F.
  • Owner: Dr. W. H. Sparling East
  • History of Use: The clamp was used to grasp the haemorrhoid in-between its blades. The greater part of the haemorrhoid mass was then cut away with scissors, leaving only a stump, which was cauterised to arrest bleeding. Used by Dr. William Henry Sparling East [1912-2007]. Dr. East moved to Fernie B.C. in 1945 and set up a practice from which he retired in 1991. He served as president of the East Kootenay Medical and the B.C. Coroner’s Associations. In 1987 he was recognized as an Honorary Member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of B.C. and, in 1992 as a Founding Member of the College of Family Physicians of Canada. 2002 he was awarded the Queen’s Golden Jubilee Medal for his community involvement.