2006.459.1: Enema Kit, 1839-1850

Additional Images

2006.459.1: Enema Kit.
Image No. 3579 ; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

Mahogany case containing an enema kit consisting of a pump, 3 screw rectal pipes, each with cord repeatedly wrapped around the outer surface, and a rubber tubing with connecting pipes at either end; 1 straight, 1 right angled, both with screw connection fittings. The manufacturer's name and address 'Savigny & Co. 67, James Street' is engraved into the pump's surface.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 2006.459.1
Collection: Surgery, General
Date: 1839-1850

Object Dimensions

  • Length: 23.5 cm
  • Height: 4.5 cm
  • Width: 11 cm

Object Parts

  • a) Lined case with hooks, hinges, lid and lock plates
  • b) Pump with handle
  • c) Rectum pipe
  • d) Rectum pipe
  • e) Rectum pipe
  • f) Tube with fitting connected to both ends

Object Materials

  • bone,
  • brass,
  • copper alloy,
  • cord,
  • ivory,
  • lacquer,
  • mahogany,
  • rubber,
  • steel,
  • varnish,
  • velvet,
  • wood

Acquisition Detail

  • Manufacturer: Savigny & Co.
  • Owner: Dr. John O. Reddie
  • History of Use: Dr. John Oatts Reddie [1858-1912] graduated MB CM [Bachelor of Medicine, Master of Surgery] from University of Glasgow, Scotland in 1884. He work for Blainhall Colliery in Scotland, then moved to U.S.A. where he started a medical practice in Colorado Springs in 1896. He arrived in Prince Rupert B.C. either 1903 or 1907. Dr. Reddie was the first city Medical Health Officer and also ran one of the first drug stores for Harrison, Campbell and Mills.