2006.110.1: Clamp, Pile, 1945-1980

Additional Images

2006.110.1: Clamp, Pile.
Image No. 3924 ; Photographer: Helen Kingsley

Object Description

COOK's haemorrhoid clamp; disjointing handles with grip grooves, single spring and bar ratchet.

Object Classification

Accession Number: 2006.110.1
Collection: Proctology
Date: 1945-1980

Object Dimensions

  • Length: 27.8 cm

Object Parts

Object Materials

  • chrome plate,
  • steel

Acquisition Detail

  • Owner: Dr. H. E. Saint-Louis
  • History of Use: The clamp was used to grasp the haemorrhoid in-between its blades. The greater part of the haemorrhoid mass was then cut away with scissors, leaving only a stump, which was cauterised to arrest bleeding. Used by Dr. Henri-Edgar St Louis [1919-2006], Dr. St Louis did his post-doctoral studies at Saint-Luke Hospital, Montreal (1946-47) and Saughnessy Hospital, Vancouver (1947-49) after which he started up a general practice. During 1949-1952 Dr. St Louis was also involved with the British Columbia Tuberculosis Society. He also served as senior medical officer with the Vancouver 442 Squadron.